Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Was Andrew Gilbert's letter meant for Birkenhead?


In this weeks letter column of the Hunts Post is a letter from Cllr Andrew Gilbert (ward: Eynesbury) writing about the Conservative policy under the banner of Family Values. I know Andrew is standing against the Conservatives favourite Labour MP Frank Field. So why are we having a letter from Andrew on Conservative Party policy? As a local Councillor I expect letters in the papers and perhaps even a leaflet through the door on local issues. Has Andrew sent the wrong letter to the local paper?


Andrew is in the bad position of having to fight two different elections 186 miles part (3 hours 20 minutes) apart. This will mean lots of travelling between the two.

Andrew4Birkenhead
Conservative PPC

1 comment:

Andrew Gilbert said...

I am happy to answer this question. I did in fact send my letter to both the Hunts Post and the local papers in Birkenhead. It was printed in the former but not the latter. During my time as councillor I have written on various issues, local and national. Any national issue I have written on has been because I have a particular interest and concern about it, in this case family policy (as a former family law solicitor and now lecturer). I don't see any problem in our councillors commenting on a broad range of national and local matters.

Regarding the election, I took the decision in January not to contest my Eynesbury seat. I do not think it is right to fight two elections in two places on the same day. It has been a privilege to represent Eynesbury but I am committed to fighting Birkenhead for the Conservatives with the aim of becoming its MP. I did not want the voters to be in any doubt as to my commitment to Birkenhead.