Tuesday, January 5, 2010

What about Djanogly's London Home?


I've been thinking about whether to go forward with this information or not. There are of course privacy and security issues. On the otherhand Djanogly DID claim for a gardener and a cleaner for his second home in Alconbury. Also, I found his primary home in London by using publicly available documents.

So here we have the Djanoglys' primary home in London. It is a very large substantial home. But that doesn't worry me. I'm of the opinion that this shouldn't matter. I'm also of the opinion that MPs should claim for a second home, where necessary. All I have ever thought was the taxpayer shouldn't be subsidising through Parliamentary expenses the living expenses of the MPs.
Former home secretary Jacqui Smith is a case in point. Jacqui claimed a room in her sisters' house was her main home. The large gated house was in her constituency where her family lived was her second home. I thought that was wrong.
With Djanogly I feel the same sort of rules should be applied when looking at his second home expenses.

The arrow points from the house to a small inset bottom left.

What the aerial photo shows is a very small garden with a bit of patio and no parking. So I look at what Djanogly has claimed in his second home in Alconbury against his primary house in London. So when his last claims for his second home were published I found Djanogly had claimed for: "Repairs to house/chimney spikes/tarmac road/drains/gloss and bitcherman plinth". I wrote an e-mail to my MP Jonathan Djanogly and he refused to answer my specific questions.

I still don't know what a bitcherman plinth is! But I can't see one outside his primary home in London. Nor could I see any driveway. So why did he charge the taxpayers for repairs for the one in Alconbury? The primary Home in London has a minuscule garden. So why did Djanogly claims for gardeners for his second home in Alconbury?

In the ruling allowing the publication of MPs' expenses the High Court judgement said: "The expenditure of public money through the payment of MPs' salaries and allowances is a matter of direct and reasonable interest to taxpayers."

No comments: