Sunday, January 17, 2010

Now the questions start for Martin Land!

In a story broken by this blog, the newly selected Martin Land has started in hot water by calling Conservatives "closet racists and homophobes". The ever excellent News and Crier has an online report on this.


Lets us see what Martin Land actually said:
"...that the Tories remain a coalition between the blatantly self-interested, closet racists, and homophobes (not necessarily mutually exclusive categories) with a small leavening of publicly acceptable faces designed to ‘con’ people into voting for them." Full text and context here.

The question I have to Martin Land is: Why don't you publish your proof to back up these assertions?

In the News and Crier article Martin starts furiously back tracking on his views. He now says:

"there was “a minority” within the Conservative Party who harboured “unacceptable” racist and homophobic attitudes." - So this has gone from the Tories to a minority of Conservatives. So who are they?

“I don’t want to attack particular individuals but I am very worried about a right wing element in the Conservative Party, both locally and nationally.” - Well that didn't come out in what you said in September. Still back tracking! What element and where is your evidence?

I would say 90 per cent of the people in the Conservative Party are honest people but there are a small minority of people in the party who hold views that I think are unacceptable.” - So it's gone from the Tories to a small minority of people. Still more backtracking as this radically differs from what he said in September!

This is not only the view of an individual who happens to be selected as a Parliamentary Candidate. These are the views of the Campaigns Manager to much of Cambridgeshire. No wonder they do so badly in Cambridgeshire!
---------
snrednek says: The political debate in the St. Neots is pretty useless. Our local politicians seem to think they can make decisions and comments without being asked questions or answering them. This blog isn't anti any individual or political party. Though it does seem I have it in for Djanogly. All I want to do is hold ALL our local politicians to account for their actions by asking questions and commenting on decisions made. I don't care which political party they represent. As for bias, yes I am biased and near the start of this blog I set out my future voting intention and reasons. Just because I will be voting a certain way will not stop me holding to account those that I support.

No comments: